The Department of Social Work and Family Studies provides a variety of opportunities for students to get involved outside of their classes in activities related to their field of study. The organizations available include the Social Work Club, Phi Alpha Social Work Honor Society and the Social Work Advisory Board.
Be sure to get involved!
Social Work Club Advisor
Dr. Nancy J. Udolph
- To provide those interested in helping others with programs and experiences which will enhance their education
- To contribute positively to the improvement of the community
- To enhance the awareness of social issues on the Ashland University campus
What we do to help:
Our Social Work Club connects with the needs of the surrounding community by raising funds and volunteering time to reduce hunger and increase supports for homeless individuals in Ashland County. During the fall semester, we organize Skip-a-Meal Today for United Way. During this event, students can donate a meal swipe to provide one meal to feed the hungry.
Recently, our member students helped with Ashland County's Point-In-Time count, which gets a count of the homeless in the area. With this number, Ashland County is able to get funding to help finance homeless assistance. During the event, the Social Work Club also handed out locally-donated restaurant coupons to the homeless.
In other times of the year, we complete various smaller projects, such as a food drive and an Easter basket donation, to help Ashland's Associated Charities.
The Social Work Advisory Board, comprised of professionals in the social work community and of Ashland University students, connects the Ashland University Social Work program with information about the latest trends, challenges and opportunities in the social work field and provides recommendations and guidance as the program develops and grows.
Members of the Social Work Advisory Board include...
MedCentral Health System
Community Practictioner, AU Alumna
MSW, Retired Social Worker
Summit County Children Services
AU, Junior Representative
Brethren Care Village
Ashland County/West Holmes Career Center
AU, Senior Representative
Samaritan Regional Health System
North Central State College
Phi Alpha Advisor
Epsilon Tau Chapter
The Phi Alpha National Social Work Honorary seeks to provide a closer bond among students of social work and to promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Ashland University's Epsilon Tau chapter honors senior social work majors who have attained excellence of scholarship and distinction of achievement as students of social work
Joining Phi Alpha
Membership is extended by invitation to qualifying students in the second semester of their senior year.
Benefits of Membership include
- Membership to a nationally recognized organization that supports high standards in social work education
- Becoming part of a national community of social work students, faculty and practictioners
- Access to a list-serv to allow networking with Phi Alpha members across the country
Additional information, including scholarship applications, can be found at the Phi Alpha site.
Qualifications for Membership
- An institutional GPA of 3.25, with a 3.4 GPA in social work courses
- A declared major in social work
- Completion of nine semester hours of required social work courses
- At least sophomore status