Dr. Barbara Schmidt-Rinehart
Professor of Foreign Languages
Center for the Humanities of Bixler Hall
- Joined Ashland University faculty in 1987 and is professor of foreign languages teaching courses in Intermediate Spanish, Civilization of Spain, Spanish Phonetics and Foreign Language Education methods classes
- Recognized nationally as an authority on the impact of home stays and host family interactions on language learning and currently involved in sociolinguistic research on the forms of address in Costa Rican Spanish
- Besides her work in language teaching, she established and has led for more than 20 years AU’s summer Spanish program abroad, first in Mexico and more recently in Costa Rica, where she now serves as coordinator and instructor of record for the “AU in Costa Rica” program
- Chaired the Foreign Languages Department for 13 years.
- established the Ashland Foreign Language Alliance for high school language teachers in the area and was a member of the Academic Programs Committee of the College Consortium for International Studies for many years
- In 2016, received the Anthony J. Papalia Award for 2015 outstanding research article by the New York State Association for Foreign Language Teachers; recognized as the Outstanding Graduate Student in Education at AU when she received her M.Ed.; was one of the first two recipients of the Taylor Teaching Award in 1987; and received the Ed Allen Award for Outstanding College Foreign Language Instructor from the Ohio Foreign Language Association in 1988
Ohio State University, Ph.D. in Foreign Language Education
Ashland University, M.Ed.
B.A. in Spanish and membership in Phi Beta Kappa at Ohio University
All Ashland University students (from all majors) are invited to...Read more
The Ashland Area Chorus (AAC), under the direction of Libby...Read more
Ashland University Theatre will hold auditions for AN ENEMY OF...Read more
Ashland University Theatre's touring musical revue performance group will hold...Read more