Dr. David West
- Joined Ashland University faculty in 2018 and serves as assistant professor of History and Political Science, teaching courses i Latin and in the history, political thought, and literature of the Greek, Roman, and medieval worlds
- Research focuses on rhetoric and political thought in Cicero and the Roman historians and students with a special interest in the ancient world or in the influence of the Classics on the American political tradition are encouraged to consult about pursuing a Minor in Classical Civilization
- has delivered papers on Cicero, Livy, and Plutarch at the annual meeting of the Society for Classical Studies
- Currently revising articles on the case for political involvement in a Ciceronian speech, the character of elites and the Roman people in Livy, and the marriage of Odysseus and Penelope in Homer
- Also preparing a book manuscript on the motives, means and ends of political engagement that Cicero advances in his speeches, rhetorical theory, letters, and political philosophy
I work in...
Understanding and engaging with the greatest questions and best minds of the past is key to becoming a truly educated citizen. As you learn about how people thought and acted in different times and places, you will gain perspectives and develop such essential qualities as... Read More