Dr. Tom Reed
Chair, Department of Music and Theatre
Professor of Music
Center for the Arts
- Joined Ashland University faculty in 1986 and serves as professor of music and chair of the Department of Music and Theatre
- Teaches courses in woodwinds, music theory, aural skills and jazz
- Member of the Akron Symphony (bass clarinet) and Ashland Symphony (principal clarinet), was a long-time member of the Cleveland Jazz Orchestra (saxophone), and has performed on clarinet or saxophone with the Cleveland Chamber Symphony, Cleveland Orchestra, Blossom Festival Orchestra, Pro Musica Chamber Orchestra, Dayton Philharmonic, Youngstown Symphony, Blossom Festival Band and the Jazz Unit
- Has been soloist with the Akron, Mansfield, Clarence and Ashland Symphonies and performs on CDs from the Akron Symphony, Cleveland Chamber Symphony, Cleveland Jazz Orchestra, the Jazz Unit and the Paul Ferguson Jazz Orchestra
- Clarinet CD “Mutually Inclusive” was released in 2008 on Capstone Records
- Founding member of Iron Toys, a woodwind quartet that performs original repertoire for saxophones, clarinets and flutes. Iron Toys released their CD in 2015
The Ohio State University, DMA in Clarinet Performance
The University of Akron, M.M. in Saxophone Performance
The University of Michigan, B.M. in Music Education
I work in...
Music at Ashland University
Whether you want to study music as a major or minor, or continue your involvement in music by performing in an excellent ensemble, the Ashland University department of music offers you many opportunities.