Solving Crimes With Science
Consider adding the Forensic Biology concentration to your major at Ashland University if you’re interested in applying biological principles to law enforcement.
What to Expect
This optional concentration for the Biology major will provide you with a strong background in both biology and chemistry along with specialized upper-level courses specifically applicable to forensics.
Coursework in Ashland University’s criminal justice department complements this science to add a foundational understanding of law environment. After graduation, you’ll be prepared for on-the-job- training in a forensic laboratory or for graduate forensics study.
Forensic BIology Program Benefits
The many benefits of this program include:
- Over 20 years of experience in forensic science
- Coursework that meets FBI standards for a DNA analyst in a forensic science laboratory
- Opportunities to take unique forensics-related coursework offered by the toxicology program, one of only a few undergraduate toxicology programs in the country
- Modern teaching and research labs with cutting-edge tools used in molecular biology
- Laboratory experience and course credit by conducting independent research with faculty
Forensic Biology Concentration Career Outlook
This career is expected to grow 17 percent by 2026, much faster than average career growth.
The Forensic Science program has a proven track record of placing Ashland graduates in positions with:
- Ohio Patrol
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
- Local forensic science labs and coroner's offices