The Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurial Studies
About the Center
The Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurial Studies at Ashland University is proud to introduce its new program for entrepreneurial studies. The Morgan Center is located in the Richard E. and Sandra J. Dauch College of Business and Economics building. We are excited about the opportunity to serve the needs of entrepreneurs on campus and in the community at large.
The mission of the Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurial Studies focuses on serving the educational needs of the students by actively promoting, encouraging, and developing entrepreneurial activities and experiential learning across the AU campus. Student programs and curriculum are structured to encourage the development of new ideas into viable products, services and processes that add value to a changing society.
The Morgan Center also serves the needs of the entrepreneurial community by providing the educational support entrepreneurs need to create and nourish new businesses. In addition, through its partnership with the Small Business Development Center located in the Dauch building, entrepreneurs receive a wide range of business counseling by certified business counselors. The Morgan Center has also partnered with area community economic development organizations to maximize the resources for entrepreneurs both on campus and in the community at large.
About Burton D. Morgan
Burton Davis Morgan was a successful entrepreneur who personally started or supported the launch of dozens of businesses during his lifetime. He was born in 1916 in New York City, but eventually settled in the Chicago area where his father taught psychology at Northwestern University.
In 1953, he teamed up with the Avery Label Company of California to start a company in Painesville, Ohio. Morgan convinced his partners that the pressure-adhesive paper company -- known as Fasson -- should be near Akron, where some of the world’s best rubber and adhesive compounds were made. Fasson found success when it began manufacturing an adhesive-backed product similar to Contact paper. In 1958, Morgan partnered with the owners of the Bemis Bag Company, once the world’s largest importer of burlap, and founded the Morgan Adhesives Co. in Stow. Burt and Peg Morgan and their three children moved to nearby Hudson, which had been settled by one of Peg Morgan’s ancestors.
In the early 1960s, Morgan invested in another start-up, Filmco, which developed an oxygen-permeable cellophane that helped revolutionize the way meat was packaged in supermarkets. When that company was bought by R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. in 1967, Morgan’s small investment made him a multimillionaire. That same year, Burton D. Morgan Foundation was established.
During the decades Morgan operated his companies, he traveled around the world with an organization of corporate leaders and as a business ambassador on behalf of the State of Ohio. He returned home each time with a conviction: entrepreneurship and the free enterprise system “comprise America’s number one advantage over the rest of the world.” That conviction strengthened as the years went on. And as it did, the Foundation that Morgan established began to focus its resources on grants to promote entrepreneurship and the free enterprise system.
2016 Morgan Lecture