At Ashland University’s Dwight Schar College of Education, we believe that field experience makes a tremendous impact on each student’s future life as a teacher.
As a student in one of our programs, you’ll complete more than 150 hours in field experiences in a variety of school settings before your 14-week student teaching internship. Our programs provide you with the necessary knowledge, skills, dispositions and opportunities to be successful in any classroom from day one.
In addition to student teaching opportunities in Ohio, we partner with school districts in South Carolina and Florida. You can complete seven or 14 weeks of your internship in the south through the Southern Internship Program. This program allows you to experience teaching in other locales and gain experiences that often lead to a valuable first position.
Take Your Teaching Global
AU is one of 16 institutions in the U.S. that are members of the Consortium for Overseas Student Teaching (COST). Through this program, you can apply to complete seven weeks of your internship through COST in 16 different countries such as Australia, Costa Rico, Greece or Ireland.
Please contact the Field Office to request an interview if you are interested in applying for the COST program.
Field Placement Application
For a field experience or student teaching during the spring semester, you must apply by Sept. 15 of the previous fall. For a field experience/student teaching during fall semester, apply by Jan. 30 of the previous winter. For additional information, please contact the Field Office at email@example.com.
Field Experience/Student Teaching Requirements
- You should only apply for an internship if you are at the end of your academic program.
- You must have the appropriate GPA to register for any field experience or internship.
- To participate, we must have your required qualifying test scores on file.
- You also must have updated Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background checks on file in the Field Office to start a field placement. Your background checks must be valid throughout your entire semester. Typically, FBI reports are valid for five years and BCI reports are valid for one year.
- You are responsible for securing your own transportation.