Doctor of Nursing Practice
Preparing You for Your Best Future
Are you a practicing nurse looking to advance your degree?
Whether you’re interested in taking on a greater leadership role or passionate about shaping industry policy, Ashland University’s highly regarded DNP program helps you advance your healthcare career.
What to Expect in the DNP Program
To be successful in today’s complex healthcare environment, nursing professionals must have the required clinical and research expertise to support and drive quality patient outcomes. Ashland University's online Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program prepares you for that challenge with leading faculty, rigorous curriculum with a strong science foundation, and hands-on practice and residency experience that covers a broad scope of responsibility in the field of nursing.
Our practice-focused DNP program focuses on the following areas of study:
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Leadership Development
- Cultural Competence
- Organizational Analysis
- Policy, Ethics, & Advocacy in Healthcare
Choose Your DNP Path
Ashland’s online DNP program allows you to pursue one of two paths, depending on your career objective: BSN/DNP or MS/MSN to DNP.
BSN to DNP
MS/MSN to DNP
DNP Program Benefits
This program is:
- Flexible. The online format allows you to enjoy success with class schedules and requirements designed for your busy life.
- Convenient. Access coursework online 24/7 for your convenience.
- Engaging. As part of the program, you’ll collaborate with your peers and complete residency requirements at hospitals, clinics and other healthcare facilities.
- Distinctive. The BSN to DNP Family Nurse Practitioner track prepares RNs to become healthcare providers. The curriculum includes a solid foundation—21 hours—in Advanced Practice Nursing courses before starting Primary Care coursework. This gives students the confidence to assess, diagnose and create treatment plans, as well as confidence in their prescribing abilities.
- Distinctive. The HSL program has partnered with the College of Business and Economics to provide a solid foundation in both business and nursing for the nursing executive.
DNP Core Curriculum
The DNP program encompasses a dynamic and evolving course offering, including:
- Healthcare Informatics
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Health Policy and Advocacy
- Research Methods and Evidence-Based Practice
- Interprofessional collaboration
- Healthcare safety and quality
Anticipated Career Growth
35% projected employment increase for advanced degree nurses (such as nurse practitioners) through 2022
- Managing nurses and staff in hospitals
- Developing policies and procedures
- Educating patients
- Owning an independent practice
- Providing quality evidence-based practice