Chuck Carlise, Ph.D.
Director of Ashland Poetry Press
304 Center for the Humanities of Bixler Hall
Area of Specialty
Creative Writing, Poetry, American Literature, Romanticism, The Beat Movement
- Poetry collection: IN ONE VERSION OF THE STORY (New Issues Poetry & Prose).
- Two award-winning poetry chapbooks: A BROKEN ESCALATOR STILL ISN’T THE STAIRS (Concrete Wolf Chapbook Series) and CASUAL INSOMNIAC (Bateau, “Boom” prize winner).
- Winner of C.T. Wright Poetry Prize, InPrint/Paul Verlaine Prize, and two Dorothy Sargent Rosenberg Prizes, plus fellowships from Wildacres, Writers Colony at Dairy Hollow, and elsewhere.
- Poems and essays appear in dozens of journals, and were twice anthologized in Best New Poets.
- Favorite thing about Ashland University: I appreciate the small classes and the tight community here, particularly within the department. I'm also really excited about running the Ashland Poetry Press.
- Little-known fact: I've lived in 14 states (and Sicily).
- Ph.D in Literature and Creative Writing - University of Houston (2012)
- MA in English (Creative Writing) - University of California, Davis (2003)
- BA in English - Wittenberg University (1999)