“I chose to return to school as an adult learner to pursue my RN to BSN degree at Ashland. It had been many years since I received my associate’s degree in nursing and I was really nervous about going back to school, especially online. I was amazed at the support of the staff and professors, who really understood the needs of a non-traditional student. The online classes were much more convenient, and easier to navigate than I would have thought. It was still a challenge, but with the flexibility of the online program, I was able to continue working full time and keep up with my family's activities. I would highly recommend this program to anyone considering returning to school.” – Melissa Compton
Online School Nurse Certificate Program
Ashland University’s School Nurse Certificate online is made for nursing professionals who have already completed a bachelor’s degree and are interested in working in a school environment. The School Nurse Certificate Program (SNC) prepares Bachelor-prepared nurses who wish to focus their career on the application of knowledge and skills in the school setting. The program provides a strong foundation in community health and education foundations, as well as preparing the nurse to practice as a member of an interprofessional team member in a non-healthcare setting.
Successful completion of this program allows students working in Ohio to apply for the Ohio Department of Education Professional Pupil Services License as a School Nurse. Students from other states with educational requirements would need to check with their state agency for equivalency. The SNC is offered completely online to allow for maximum flexibility, with an internship completed in the district of employment or near student’s home, if not currently employed.
Here at Ashland, we recognize that school nursing is an expertise and specialized practice within nursing! Our program helps students develop expert skills needed to support the health and academic needs of students of all ages in diverse school settings. Ashland University has been ranked as the second best online college in Ohio by EDsmart.org, a nationally recognized publisher of college resources and rankings.
Why Ashland University?
Ashland University’s School Nurse Certificate program is designed to meet the needs of working professionals, giving students the flexibility to fit busy schedules. More of our program perks include:
- 100% online program with flexibility in the speed of program completion
- Courses taught by licensed school nurses and experts in the field of school nursing
- AU’s program features a hands-on School Nurse Certificate internship that is guided by an Ashland University faculty member and can be completed in the district of current employment. Placements are also available in a school near your home, for those students not currently employed in a school setting
Ashland University provides a one-on-one academic advisor to help you navigate the program and coursework. This is a reflection of AU’s individual attention philosophy and the fact that faculty and staff are known for building nurturing relationships with their students.
About Our School Nurse Certificate Online
Our School Nurse Certificate program will prepare you to:
- Facilitate optimal development and positive student responses to health and academic interventions
- Promote health and safety, including a healthy environment; intervene with actual and potential health problems
- Provide case management and school health services
- Actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self-management, self-advocacy, and learning in a school district.
Ashland’s College of Nursing & Health Sciences has developed a certificate program curriculum aligned with the mission, goals, and expected student outcomes of professional school nursing standards and practice. The completion of the program requirements meets the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) LIcensed School Nurse requirements to apply for the Professional Pupil Services License: School Nurse. Following successful approval by ODE, the student may attain the title of School Nurse (LSN).
School Nurse Certificate Course Offerings:
In our School Nurse Certificate program, Ashland University offers graduate-level coursework including:
- Advanced Study of Child Development
- Educational Strategies for Healthcare Providers
- Health Care of the School Community
- Introduction to Educational Intervention
- Health Determinants and Academic Indicators
- School Nurse Internship
Ashland University is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and is authorized by the Ohio Department of Higher Education to grant associate’s, bachelor’s, masters and doctoral degrees. Courses are taught in a flexible seven-week format. Click here for tuition and fees.
Did you know that Ashland is ranked as the No. 1 College for an Online Degree near Cleveland, Ohio for 2019 by Great Value Colleges? Apply to Ashland University’s Online School Nurse Certificate program!