Are you already a Registered Nurse (RN)? You’re one of the most respected and in-demand healthcare professionals in the U.S. There may be many questions you have about the steps needed to complete an RN to BSN online. What classes are needed to complete a BSN? How much will it cost? What college should you attend? The answer to these and many other questions can be found in the guide below. Take your career to the next level and consider these steps to excel in your Bachelor of Science in Nursing Completion online program!
1. Research Reputable Online BSN Completion Programs
As an RN, your plate is already more than likely full. Between your job and family, you may feel that there’s not enough time in the day to go back to school, let alone complete a Bachelor’s degree.
Choosing a flexible RN to BSN online program is a top priority for those thinking about advancing their nursing career. That’s why many BSN Completion programs are tailored to the needs of busy healthcare professionals. They’ve recognized there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to learning, and with the power of the internet, it’s possible to complete a BSN program online while still maintaining your current nursing position and other commitments.
When considering RN to BSN online programs, nurses should ask these questions:
- What is the timeframe for each course?
- How will my pre-licensure courses transfer?
- What classes are needed to complete a BSN?
- How long does it take to complete the BSN completion online program?
- Is financial assistance available?
- If tuition is discounted, does that apply to all courses or just nursing courses?
- How does the program satisfy the accrediting body's required clinical experience?
- What kind of support is available for online students?
These questions could be answered by a quick review of several RN-BSN online programs. The key is to ask the right questions to find the program that’s the best fit for you!
2. Apply to an Accredited RN to BSN Online Program
Once you have reviewed your options, there are a few other items to consider. It is important to attend a program that is accredited by CCNE or NLN, as this may impact graduate program acceptance or career advancement.
What does it mean for a school to be accredited? It’s a standardization of the educational protocols needed for healthcare institutions across the U.S. to ensure that they’re hiring experienced and highly trained nurses to meet the needs of their patients.
3. Begin Your RN to BSN Program Online
Once you have gone through the first two steps, you could be ready to embark on your program to further your skills and knowledge.
- Take your studies seriously! Apply yourself in your classes to ensure you are really understanding the material.
- Show you are engaged and ask questions. Every question is a good question and chances are, someone else may be wondering the same thing!
- Engage with your professors to show that you are passionate about your career path as a healthcare professional.
Earning an RN to BSN degree is one of the most important steps needed to advance within your nursing career. Although it may seem daunting, there are plenty of resources and caring nursing professors to help you along the way.
One of the best options for your journey from RN to BSN online is at Ashland University. Our online Bachelor of Science in Nursing Completion Program prepares Registered Nurses for a leadership role in a nursing setting. Ashland also prepares its students with a solid foundation that can be used for graduate studies as well!
Our program is accredited by CCNE to ensure that you fulfill the requirements set by the accrediting body. Ashland’s flexible scheduling allows you to focus on your current RN job while furthering your degree!
The program is designed to build on nursing students' expertise in areas such as theoretical knowledge base, research for evidence-based practice, and international perspectives in healthcare. The RN to BSN online program coursework also emphasizes nurse advocacy in legal, ethical, and political roles.
Examples of the classes offered in the Ashland University RN to BSN online program curriculum include:
- Genetics in Nursing and Health Care
- Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- Health Care Systems
- Legal, Ethical and Political Perspectives
- Community and Public Health
Students must complete 30 hours of credit at Ashland University to complete their BSN online. Our program requires 27 hours of nursing courses, plus any institutional core and non-nursing requirements not transferred in from other universities. The degree can be earned in as few as 12 months!
Does this sound like something that interests you? Not only does Ashland University have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing Completion online, but we also feature certificate programs including our School Nurse Certificate and Online Nurse Educator Certificate program. Advanced degree options include our Doctor of Nursing Practice in Family Nurse Practitioner or Health Systems Leadership. These degrees are also accredited by CCNE and provide the necessary skills and education to thrive as a nursing professional in the in-demand field of healthcare!