AU Board of Trustees announces one-year extension of President Campo’s contract
ASHLAND, Ohio – The Ashland University Board of Trustees approved to extend the contract of President Carlos Campo for an additional year during its Oct. 21 board meeting. Campo will now serve as president of AU through at least May 2025.
“The Board of Trustees is happy to announce that it has exercised an additional one-year option to extend the term of President Campo through May 2025,” stated Jim Hess, chair of the AU Board of Trustees. “We believe adding another year to President Campo’s service will allow the university to continue the good work that is happening, and will put us in the best possible position to address the challenges private institutions of higher education are facing across the region.”
Campo is excited to continue in his role, one that he has held since June 2015. “(My wife) Karen and I are pleased to continue at Ashland University through 2025. We are privileged to serve the students, faculty, staff and board members here at AU, and look forward to helping our mission and vision continue to thrive.”
Now in his eighth academic year leading AU, Campo has guided a number of successful initiatives. The highlights of his tenure include:
- Formation and completion of the “Campaign for Every Individual,” which raised more than $100 million, doubling the initial goal of $50 million
- Major renovation of Clayton Hall, one of the largest residences on campus, and a series of ongoing campus beautification projects, which were financially secured by two significant gifts from Dwight Schar ’64 totaling about $20 million
- Launch of a new Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies program and the development of an Industrial and Systems Engineering program (pending Higher Learning Commission and Ohio Department of Higher Education approval)
- Substantial growth of the Correctional Education program, from serving 1,000 students to an average of 3,200 per semester
- Construction of the Niss Athletic Center, a state-of-the-art, 125,000-square foot, multi-use facility
- Establishment of the Jack W. Liebert Military and Veterans Resource Center, which provides support for military-connected and veteran students on campus
- Creation of the newly-opened Archer Food Labs, which will greatly enhance the growing dietetics program
- Expansion of the Ashbrook Scholars and College Credit Plus programs
- Consistent representation in regional and national rankings, including being named as a “Best College” by both U.S. News and World Report and Money
- Development and implementation of the “Rich History, Bold Future” strategic plan
Ashland University is a mid-sized, private university conveniently located a short distance from Akron, Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio. Ashland University (www.ashland.edu) values the individual student and offers a unique educational experience that combines the challenge of strong applied academic programs with a faculty and staff who build nurturing relationships with their students.