Why Major in Accounting?
Companies will want you. People with accounting expertise are needed by virtually every organization in every industry. Employers rely on experts in accounting, budgeting, financial modeling and tax planning. So, if you acquire this highly marketable skill set, you should have the freedom to work in any industry that interests you wherever you choose to live.
- Accountant and auditor positions are projected to increase 7.35% in the U.S. through 2031.
- Recent employer demand for accounting graduates grew faster than demand for all bachelors’ degrees overall (Education Advisory Board).
- AU’s College of Business and Economics is the only program in Ohio to be accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). ACBSP accreditation ensures that you will receive a high-quality education that will make a positive difference in your job prospects, career advancement and income potential.
- The Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam pass rate for AU Accounting graduates is historically above both the Ohio and national averages, according to published data.
Is Accounting a Good Fit for You?
An accounting degree is the right fit for you if you have any or all of the following:
- An analytical mind
- Strong attention to detail
- A passion for solving problems
What Is It Like to Major in Accounting at AU?
As an Accounting major at AU, you can count on:
- Small class sizes in which accredited professors and leading finance professionals give you individual attention.
- Networking opportunities at events such as:
- The annual “Meet the Accountant Night”
- Meetings of the Institute of Management Accountants Club
- Hands-on projects with peers
- National competitions
- Gaining real-world experience in a variety of business internships and the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program, where students prepare tax returns for individuals in the community.
- Getting fully prepared for your future by studying a cutting-edge curriculum.
The Accounting program at Ashland University combines a broad business foundation with a concentration in specialized accounting courses to provide you with core business competencies and technical accounting knowledge. Here is just a sampling of these cutting-edge courses and what you can expect to gain from them:
- Financial Accounting teaches you . . .
- Cost Accounting shows you . . .
- Accounting Information Technology gives you . . .
- Forensic Accounting introduces you . . .
- Managerial Accounting allows you . . .
Superior Graduate Outcomes
Many employers report that Ashland students outperform students from other schools.