Creative Writing Program Overview
Are you an enthusiastic writer interested in turning your passion into a career? Develop your voice in Ashland University’s Creating Writing program. A degree in creative writing is an asset to nearly any career you pursue because it helps you develop critical thinking and clear expression of ideas.
Time to Complete
When you study creative writing at Ashland University, you'll learn from experienced authors and will create works of your own. By the time you graduate, you'll have a fully developed manuscript. In your senior capstone course, you will work toward creating a polished series of stories, essays or poems.
- Receive personalized attention from professors who are published authors themselves.
- Learn about the publishing process from those who have experienced it firsthand.
- Receive invaluable feedback on your personal work.
- Meet with published authors who visit the Languages and Literatures Department as guest speakers.
Gain rewarding, real-world experience through opportunities such as:
Ashland University's award winning, student-run and edited campus newspaper. Your news source for all things AU.
The mission of the Ashland Poetry Press is to publish and promote the best poetry submitted from new and established authors writing in English, as well as translations of Spanish poetry into English. The Ashland Poetry Press resides in the English Department at Ashland University.
BFR is run by students, faculty, and alumni from Ashland University. We feature work that makes us consider the world and our lives in new and unexpected ways. The journal is supported by the Ashland English Department, The Ashland Poetry Press, and The Ashland MFA Program in Creative Writing.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for writers and authors are projected to grow 4% from 2022 to 2032. About 15,500 openings for writers and authors are projected each year, on average, over the decade.
Creating Writing graduates work as:
- Advertising executives
- Copy editors
- Digital marketing strategists
- English/literature professors
- Higher education administrators
- Legal assistants
- Public relations specialists
- Screenplay/script writers and writing center directors