This program is focused on strength and conditioning to provide the knowledge to guide you and others toward peak physical performance.
Ashland University’s M.S. in Applied Exercise Science is the only graduate program of its kind in Ohio and one of seven in the nation that have attained the Education Recognition Program status by the National Strength and Conditioning Association. In the fall of 2019, the program was ranked by Intelligent.com as first overall in the Private Institution category and second in all categories. More recently, Applied Exercise Science was ranked 21st in the United States by TheBestSchools.org and seventh by Online Masters in the category of online sports medicine programs.
We’ll Work Around Your Schedule
We understand the needs of working adults, which is why our master’s degree in Exercise Science can be completed online, with only one day of in-person meetings. You can also complete your degree in as few as three semesters (12 months).
- Learn from passionate instructors with years of professional strength and conditioning experience
- Be prepared to attain certification as an American College of Sports Medicine Exercise Physiologist or National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist.
|NUHS 509:Quantitative Data Analysis||3|
|NUHS 510: Ethics & Professional Responsibility||3|
|NUHS 558: Research Foundations & Methods in Health Sciences||3|
|AEXS 671: Scientific Basis of Sport||3|
|AEXS 675: Scientific Foundation of Nutrition in Sport||3|
|AEXS 677: Physiological Basis for Exercise & Sport||3|
|AEXS 678: Fitness Assessment & Exercise Prescription||3|
|AEXS 679: Principles of Strength & Conditioning||3|
|Elective (if non thesis capstone is used)||3|
|Potential Electives (3-6 credits depending on capstone option)|
|AEXS 598: Independent Study||(3)|
|AEXS 670: Sport Medicine Principles for Sport Professionals||(3)|
|AEXS 673 Analysis of Sport Instruction||(3)|
|SMG 572: Sport Management||(3)|
|ED Master’s-level courses||(3)|
|Capstone Experience Options|
|NUHS 747: Internship||3|
|NUHS 778: Practicum||3|
|NUHS 781: Thesis||6|
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for graduates is a healthy one!
- Employment of exercise physiologists is expected to grow 9 percent from 2021 to 2031, with a median annual salary of $47,940.
- For coaches, employment is projected to increase by 20%; the median annual pay is $38,970.
- For fitness instructors, employment is projected to grow 19% from 2021 to 2031.The annual median pay is $40,700.
Internships and Career Opportunities
Internships can become full-time employment, leading to positions such as:
- Fitness directors
- Corporate health and wellness directors
- Strength and conditioning coaches
Randy Gearhart, Ph.D.
245 Rybolt Sport Sciences Center