Mathematics is more than numbers and formulas; it’s the art of solving problems, analyzing patterns and preparing for any and all possibilities. Every career involves mathematics on some level, but experts are few and far between. Ashland University’s Mathematics program is designed to make you one of those experts. You can expand on theory, develop mathematical models and perform analysis, preparing you for a rewarding career in several different fields or continued education.
You will learn to work with numbers, of course. But you’ll also develop skills in data analysis, problem-solving and computer calculation.
In addition, you will:
- Study in small classes and learn from dedicated, award-winning faculty who guide and advise you
- Participate in mathematics challenges and contests, such as competitions and activities provided by the Ohio Section of the Mathematical Association of America
- Have full access to extensive computer resources, including computer algebra systems and statistical and geometric software.
The program includes courses from Mathematical Modeling to Probability. For details, review specific course information:
Recent graduates have gone on to work in industries such as:
- Actuarial science
- Operations research
- Software engineering
- Financial services
Internships and Career Opportunities
Recent Mathematics and Computer Science students had internships at Ashland University, Encova Insurance, Etactics, Inc., FirstEnergy, J.M. Smucker Co. and Wentworth Solutions.
- Caleb McCullough, ‘22 - Graduate student pursuing a Master of Science in Statistics at Bowling Green State University
- Janeen Grese, '19 - Assistant logistics analyst II at Jarrett Logistics
Christopher Swanson, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science