You are here
Furthering Your Financial Future
Are you an analytical problem solver, deep thinker, quick learner, or forward-thinking individual? Ashland University’s Finance program might be for you.
What to Expect in the Finance Program
Majoring in finance at Ashland University prepares you for a career in finance by giving you the opportunity to develop the money management and leadership skills you need to succeed in the business world. How? Specialized programs like the Eagle Investment Group and on-campus trading room give you the opportunity to invest and manage real money in real markets.
Finance Program Benefits:
In this program, you will:
- Gain real-world experience by managing $1.4 million in endowment in the Eagle Investment Group
- Learn in small class sizes with individualized attention
- Study a wide range of critical topics to prepare you for your future, including corporate and global finance, security analysis, and investment portfolio management
- Hone your teamwork skills and build close relationships with faculty and fellow finance majors in ways that will extend past the classroom
The Finance program at Ashland University allows you to choose from two different content tracks depending on your specific career goals:
- Asset management. This track is made for students seeking a career in financial planning or a related field. It includes prerequisite knowledge and learning outcomes relating to the CFP® designations and will prepare you for NASD securities exams.
- Corporate finance. This track prepares you to evaluate and provide strategic leadership and projections to companies.
Sample classes include:
- Principles of Investment. Learn to analyze investments in financial assets, both in an individual and a portfolio context, including the characteristics and evaluation of specific investment vehicles.
- Global Finance. Study the global environment with emphasis on business operations, including multinational finance, foreign exchange risk management and the financing of foreign operations.
- Business Law II. Discover legal principles, including the Uniform Commercial Code, labor and other employment law, consumer protection, product liability and administrative agency law.
Finance Career Outlook
Average Career Salary
$45,000 - $119,000
Anticipated Career Growth
Exceeds 20 percent through 2020
- Bond Manager
- Business Credit/Loan Specialist
- Commodities Trader
- Financial Analyst
- Financial Economist
- Hedge Fund Analyst/Manager
- Insurance Agent/Broker
- International Trade Specialist
- Investment Advisor
- Management Broker
- Pension Fund Manager
- Personal Banker
- Portfolio Analyst/Manager
- Real Estate Developer