Interested in joining a fraternity or sorority?
If you are interested in joining a fraternity or sorority at Ashland University, we encourage you to participate in the recruitment process. The recruitment process is different for fraternities and sororities:
- Fraternity recruitment is year-round but includes two weeks of scheduled events where male students can meet the brothers of each chapter, establish camaraderie and determine which organization best fits their interests.
- Sorority recruitment is a formal weekend event where female students can get to know the sisters of each chapter, learn the values of each chapter and discover the impact that their membership in each chapter could have on the community.
If you’re not convinced that the fraternity and sorority life is right for you, that’s okay! Simply participating in the recruitment process doesn’t mean you’ve signed an agreement or contract. Participating in recruitment is a great way to meet new people, make new friends and learn more about your community, even if you don’t end up joining.
How do I participate in recruitment?
To be recruited to a fraternity or sorority, you must:
- Be enrolled in Ashland University classes as a full-time, undergraduate student.
- Meet GPA requirements for the chapter you are recruited for (ranging from 2.2 – 2.8).
- Exceptions are made at that chapter’s discretion.
- There is no GPA requirement to participate in the recruitment process.
- Participate in the recruitment process.
Any questions regarding fraternity and sorority life may be directed to the Fraternity and Sorority Life Office at 419-289-5723 or FSL@ashland.edu.
What is the recruitment process like?
Ashland University prohibits all instances of hazing both on and off campus, as is written in our Anti-Hazing Policy. Our fraternity and sorority community prides itself on its positive relationships. Brotherhood and sisterhood cannot exist without the bonds that create them. As such, you can expect your recruitment to be a wholesome and enriching experience. You will meet new people, make new friends, learn about the values of each chapter and gain a better understanding of the opportunities that await you.
Men interested in joining a fraternity may be recruited year-round, but the annual, two-week recruitment event occurs in mid-September. This event presents a relaxed atmosphere where men interested in membership meet with each fraternity on campus. They are introduced to chapter leadership, learn more about chapter values and activities and have the opportunity to get to know some of the men in the brotherhood. Learning about each chapter at Ashland University helps them identify exactly what they hope to gain from the fraternity experience and which chapter can best meet those needs.
Over the course of one weekend, women participate in a series of structured activities where they learn about each chapter, what each chapter represents, what each chapter can do for them and what they can do for the community in turn. In doing so, participants can determine which chapter best fits their needs. At the same time, current chapter members and chapter leadership can discuss and select participants they think would make a great addition to their organization. Most recruitment activities take place in the evening so participants can work around class schedules and athletic events.