Introduce music to the next generation by joining the Music Education program. You will receive a comprehensive education in instrumental and vocal music that nurtures your artistic strengths. The curriculum includes courses in music theory and history, as well as opportunities for lessons and ensembles. Each semester will involve lessons in your primary instrument or voice and ensembles. With the College of Education, you will apply your knowledge and share your enthusiasm for music with students in a classroom setting. Alongside your Bachelor of Music degree, you will obtain licensure in teaching music, opening the door for career opportunities in public and private schools nationwide.
During your time in the Music Education program, you can:
- Gain valuable firsthand experience with music as both a student and educator, culminating in a student internship and teacher licensure
- Receive mentorship from renowned faculty with extensive knowledge and enthusiasm for the art of music
- Benefit from significant, talent-based scholarships available to music majors, minors and other program participants
- Join and learn from small musical ensembles to further your own artistic abilities
- Perform with Ashland University bands and choirs on international tours of Germany, Italy, Austria and Spain.
Courses and groups required for the Music Education program include:
- MUSIC 259 Music Theory I
- MUSIC 211 Class Piano I
- MUSIC 227 Aural Skills I
- EDFN 130 Introduction to Teaching
- Participation in ensembles (marching band, choir, etc.)
More information can be found in the Four-Year Guide.
The many career opportunities with a degree in music education include:
- Music Teacher
- Professional Performing Musician
- Music Agent
- Church Musician
- Instrument Sales Representative