An Online Program Designed for Social Studies Teachers
The Master of Arts with a Specialization in Teaching American History and Government (MASTAHG) offers an integrated program that brings together the resources of Ohio's leading College of Education and the nation's premier liberal arts program for social studies teachers. Available as a fully online, hybrid online/on-campus or fully on-campus program, MASTAHG combines high-quality instruction from leading scholars with flexible modes of delivery.
This program prepares secondary school teachers for the challenge of teaching accelerated courses in American history and U.S. government. The degree program combines the study of the people, ideas and events that make up the American experience with the latest theories in curriculum design and pedagogy. This dual approach provides teachers with the expertise they need to effectively deliver college-level instruction at the high school level.
Highlights of the Program
- Available online, hybrid or in person
- Integrates the study of American history, American government and the latest theories in curriculum design and delivery
- Designed for the professional and curricular needs of secondary social studies teachers
- Motivated students can finish in 22 months.
- A distinguished graduate faculty of scholars, including full-time AU history and political science faculty, as well as visiting professors from other universities across the nation
The Power of Live Online Classes
MASTAHG's unique live web conference model combines the rich interaction of a traditional classroom with the convenience of online study. In our history and government classes, you are part of a live conversation with the professor and your classmates. Each class session features a discussion of the people, events and ideas of American history. Rather than dry lecture, our students directly engage in the debate of ideas. It is simple yet powerful.
Requires a total of 33 semester credit hours, including:
- 12 core semester hours covering the breadth of the American experience from the revolution to the twentieth century
- Nine semester hours of required education core
- 12 semester hours of elective coursework in American history and government, providing the flexibility to customize your course of study around your personal interests or professional needs
- A qualifying examination
|Charges||Per Course||Per Sem Hour|
|Tuition and Fees:
American History and Government - Online
|Tuition and Fees:
Education - Online
The total cost of your M.A. in American History and Government will be around $19,800. This includes tuition, mandatory fees, room and board for your on-campus studies and estimated books and materials costs.
Ashland University participates in the federal direct student loan program. Installment plans are available, allowing students to spread out the cost of tuition in equal payments across an entire semester. Eligible for VA educational benefits? Our Veteran's Services office can assist you with your benefit application and counseling.
Take an On-Campus Course Tuition-Free
All new degree-seeking MASTAHG students receive a waiver of tuition for their first weeklong on-campus summer course. While on-campus study is not required in MASTAHG, our weeklong summer courses in American History and Government are open to MASTAHG students. Many students find that including a few on-campus courses in their studies enriches the experience, allowing them to meet and network with their colleagues and professors. This face-to-face experience enhances the online experience and your classmates become personal friends.