Campus happenings is a weekly email sent to those that subscribe to receive the latest updates about the Ashland University community and last minute event announcements. Email Commuter Services at email@example.com with "Campus Happenings" in the subject line to be added to the listserve.
COMMUTER LOUNGEThe commuter lounge is located on the second floor of the Student Center near the entrance to the footbridge. The lounge is a great place to hang out and relax between classes, eat lunch, meet other commuter students, and find out what is happening around campus. It is also the home of our monthly Commuter Breaks. Commuter Lounge amenitites include:
- Sink and counter for food prep
- Tables and chairs
- Comfortable couches and chairs
- Computer stations with internet access
- Informational bulletin board
- Close proximity to vending machines
COMMUTER LOCKERSRegister for a commuter locker for FREE in the Commuter Services Office located on the second floor of the Hawkins-Conard Student Center (HCSC), Suite 232. Commuter lockers are located on the second floor of the Student Center. You will need to provide your own lock.
Commuter Status Guidelines - Who Can Commute?
All full time students (12 or more hours per semester) are required to live in University housing unless other pressing reasons demand an exception to this policy. Exceptions will be made for the following reasons:
1) A student, while in attendance at Ashland University, is living in the permanent primary residence of his/her parent or guardian within 35 driving miles of Ashland University’s main campus (401 College Avenue, Ashland, Ohio 44805) or the Dwight Schar College of Nursing (1020 S. Trimble Road, Mansfield, Ohio 44906), Mansfield Campus for the upper-class College of Nursing students.
2) A student is married, divorced, or widowed.
3) A student is 22 years of age or older prior to October 1st of that academic year.
4) A student has served in the Armed Forces and received an honorable discharge.
5) A student has lived in campus housing the equivalent of 8 fall and spring semesters, enrolled in academic coursework each semester.
6) A student is the holder of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited four year college/university.
7) A transfer student who has lived in campus housing at another accredited institution the equivalent of 4 fall and spring semesters enrolled in full-time academic coursework each semester.
8) Student teaching and commuting from home
Approval to live off campus is given through the Office of Residence Life for one academic year. Once granted, permission to live off campus is only valid as long as the reason for the original approval still exists. Any change of status during the period of off campus approval may nullify the off campus status, thus requiring the student to be invoiced for room and board and/or possible conduct action.
Applying for Commuter Status**:
- Students seeking approval to live off campus must submit/resubmit an application by May 1st for returning students and prior to the start of the academic year in which they intend to reside off campus for new and transfer students. Applications are loacted at housing.ashland.edu.
- Students must reapply each year to renew their eligibility.
- Students that have signed a housing agreement and are later granted off-campus residency are subject to a $500 housing cancellation fee (see Housing Agreement).
- Newly accepted or returning AU students can use their AU username and password to log into the Commuter application
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us in the Hawkins-Conard Student Center, Suite 232.