Do you dream of a career in art? Cultivate your creativity in the Art + Design Department! We take a comprehensive, contemporary approach to the art field. You get a liberal arts education under the direction of talented art professors who encourage you to stretch your abilities and become the artist or teacher you’re meant to be.
- Studio disciplines with dedicated faculty and spaces devoted to art creation
- Countless opportunities to show your work
- Access to the work of contemporary artists at Coburn Art Gallery exhibitions
- Learning to think critically and solve problems creatively
- Fine Art - You’ll gain fundamental art knowledge and strong technical skills in the concentration you choose:
- Art Education - Combines training in studio art with teacher education instruction, leading to teacher certification
Merit-based scholarships are available to all students entering an art program at Ashland University. Art awards will be juried by department faculty using the student’s portfolio submission. Scholarship portfolios are accepted at any time, but priority is give to those received before Feb. 15
Awards are renewed each year you are enrolled at Ashland and meet these criteria:
- Maintain a 2.5 overall GPA
- Maintain an art major
- Make consistent progress toward building a portfolio of quality work
- Support both the curricular and extracurricular programs of the Art + Design Department by attending gallery receptions, visiting artist lectures, participating in Art Club, etc.
Portfolio Submission Process
Submit a portfolio of between five and 15 digital images of works of art you completed in the past two years. We prefer that you include at least two examples of drawing from observation. You may include two views of three-dimensional pieces.
Presentation of your work is extremely important, so please take your photos in a professional manner, filling the viewfinder with the work of art and using a neutral, quiet background
Submit these materials, along with a brief introductory letter outlining your art career plans, online. All submissions will be retained by the Art Department and will become part of the student’s records.
For questions about portfolio submissions, please call 419-289-5190.
The Department of Art and Design includes six studios and one specially equipped lecture classroom to accommodate the needs of our faculty and students. Studios are well-equipped with specialized tools and facilities for each discipline.
- Ceramic Studio - Includes 16 wheels, hand-building equipment and both electric and gas-fired kilns
- Sculpture Studio - Equipped for metal fabrication, metal casting, woodworking, etc.
- Painting Studio - Equipped with easels and workspaces for projects of various sizes, including individual studio spaces for painting majors
- Printmaking Studio - Equipped with several presses including a 36” intaglio press and lithography press
- Digital Art + Design Lab - Dedicated space for Digital Arts and Graphic Design instruction with 15 iMac computers outfitted with Adobe Creative Cloud and an archival 44” large-format printer
- Coburn Art Gallery - Features exhibitions of contemporary and historical significance for the campus community and the Ashland area. Students both work and exhibit in the gallery
- Art History Classroom - Contains original artwork of historical significance from the university’s extensive collection and has the ability to project digital images from the Web as well as a large collection of digital and slide images of historical art
- Photo studio with professional lighting equipment and green screen
- Additional equipment includes large screen projection and surround sound systems for digital multimedia, a 3D Printer, a laser cutter and metal fabrication tools such as MIG welders, oxy-acetylene torches, a plasma cutter and ring rollers
An internship is required for Commercial Art Majors, and is a powerful experience and learning opportunity suggested for all Art Majors. An internship learning contract must be completed and signed before registering for internship credit.
For details, contact Michael Bird, the Art + Department Internship Coordinator at email@example.com.