Purpose of the scholarship: Ashland University has been awarded a grant from the State of Ohio to provide Choose Ohio First (COF) Scholarships to outstanding students with interests in the natural and physical sciences. These scholarships support academically strong students who plan to pursue careers in graduate school, health related professional programs or through direct employment in STEM industries after completion of the Bachelors Degree. The goal of this State-funded program is to encourage Ohio residents to enter STEM disciplines and join the Ohio workforce. There are currently 30 students in this program at Ashland University.
Amount of award: $3,000 per academic year for four years in addition to any other University awards. Total award of up to $12,000.
We are currently recruiting students for our entering Fall 2018 class
Requirements of COF Scholars:
- Minimum requirements to receive award:
ACT 25 or greater
High school GPA 3.5 or greater
- Must maintain a major in Biochemistry, Biology (including Forensic Biology), Chemistry, Environmental Science, Forensic Chemistry, Geology, Physics or Toxicology
- Minimum GPA to maintain scholarship:
3.0 by the end of the 1st year
- Ashland University hosts a number of STEM related guest speakers each year. COF Scholars must attend at least three of these guest lectures or events per semester.
- COF scholars participate in a peer-mentoring program that partners incoming students with junior and senior scholars. This support is in addition to your regular academic advising from faculty.
- While independent research projects and/or professional internships are not required of COF scholars, opportunities to do these will be available and will be encouraged. Ashland University science faculty members actively involve undergraduate students in their research programs. Local research laboratories such as Charles River Laboratories and the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center are active partners with our program and host COF scholars as interns..
- The program provides additional career training and advice. Attendance at STEM related career fairs/social events is encouraged.